This Xero app is a software tool that allows you to integrate your SHOPLINE store with Xero accounting software. With this app, you can automatically sync your sales data, product information, and customer data between your SHOPLINE store and Xero, reducing the need for manual data entry and streamlining your accounting processes. The app provides features such as support for multi-currency, SKU name mapping, and the ability to sync orders generated after a specified start date. By using this Xero app, you can save time and effort while ensuring accurate and up-to-date financial records for your business.
Table of content
- Before you begin
- Understanding Xero Integration: What Data is Synced?
- Connecting Xero account
- Disconnecting Xero account
- Locating your synced data in Xero
Before you begin
Before you begin using Xero integration with your SHOPLINE store, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- If the currencies used in your SHOPLINE store and Xero are different, you must enable multi-currency in Xero to ensure proper syncing.
- To ensure that orders are synced correctly, all products in your SHOPLINE store must have a SKU name.
- If you change the SKU name of a product that has already been synced to Xero, a new product with the updated SKU name will be created the next time an order is placed.
- Only orders generated on or after the start date of data sync will be synced to Xero.
Understanding Xero Integration: What Data is Synced?
The following data sets will be synced from SHOPLINE to Xero. It is important to note that for proper syncing, all products must have a SKU name:
|Order||Order number, order line items (product name, quantity, price, discounted value, total price)|
|Product||Product name, SKU, inventory level, unit price|
|Inventory||Inventory will be tracked|
|Customer||Customer name, email, contact number, birthday|
Connecting SHOPLINE to Xero account
With the Xero app, creating and managing invoices for your SHOPLINE store orders is made easy. Whenever an order is created in your SHOPLINE store, the Xero app will automatically push the necessary data to create invoices in Xero. If any product items or customers associated with the order are not yet in Xero, the app will create them using the line item data contained within the order. This ensures that your invoices are accurate and complete and that all relevant product and customer information is properly recorded in Xero. With this automated process, you can save time and minimize the risk of errors in your invoicing and accounting processes.
To connect SHOPLINE to Xero:
- From your SHOPLINE admin, go to Apps and download the Xero App.
- Once you have installed the Xero app, click Connect to Xero.
If you have multiple organizations under one Xero account, simply select the appropriate one to receive the synced data from your SHOPLINE store. This ensures that your accounting records remain accurate and organized for each of your business entities.
To ensure successful data syncing between your SHOPLINE store and Xero, it's important to check that the currencies used in both platforms match. If the currencies are different, you'll need to enable multi-currency in Xero before syncing data. This can be done by following the setup instructions provided in the slide referenced. Only when both currencies are the same can you ensure that data will sync correctly between the two platforms.
- The Xero app provides an optional feature for setting an order prefix for your SHOPLINE store orders. This can be useful if you haven't already set a prefix in SHOPLINE, or if you want to differentiate your SHOPLINE orders from orders coming in from other sales channels, such as marketplaces. By setting an order prefix in the Xero app, this prefix will be placed before the invoice reference number synced from SHOPLINE to Xero, making it easier to distinguish between different types of orders in your accounting records.
- When setting up the Xero app, it is mandatory to select an order start date. This is the date from which you want the data to be synced from your SHOPLINE store to Xero. It's important to choose the correct start date, which should correspond to the earliest order date so that all orders can be synced over to Xero.
For example, if your earliest order creation date was January 1st, 2022, you should select a start date of January 1st, 2022 or earlier. If you select a start date of February 1st, 2022, any orders created between January 1st and January 31st will not be synced over to Xero.
When syncing orders from your SHOPLINE store to Xero using the Xero app, if a customer already exists in Xero, the app will automatically use this customer account and no new customer will be created during the syncing process. This ensures that customer information is accurate and consistent across both platforms, and that duplicate customer accounts are not created in Xero.
- When mapping data fields in the Xero app, you will need to select the Xero sales account to which your SHOPLINE orders should sync. The sales accounts available in the dropdown list correspond to those already created in Xero. If you want to sync orders to a different sales account that hasn't been created in Xero yet, you can click on the "Add new" button. Once you've added the new account, it will be created in Xero as well. This same process applies to your shipping revenue as well - simply select the Xero sales account where you want your shipping revenue to be synced.
- When mapping data fields in the Xero app, you will also need to select the Xero bank account to which your payments from SHOPLINE orders should sync. The bank accounts available in the dropdown list correspond to those already created in Xero. If you want to sync payments to a different bank account that hasn't been created in Xero yet, you can click on the "Add new" button. Once you've added the new account, it will be created in Xero as well. This ensures that your payment information is accurately reflected in Xero and makes it easy to reconcile your payments.
When mapping data fields in the Xero app, it is important to ensure that your SHOPLINE order tax rate corresponds with the Xero sales account tax rate. This ensures that the tax value in each order will be accurately reflected in Xero. If your SHOPLINE store and Xero currencies are different, make sure to first enable multi-currencies in Xero. Once you have mapped all the necessary data fields, you can click on the "Finish" button to proceed with the syncing process.
To set the data sync method in the Xero app, you can choose between automatic or manual sync. If you choose the automatic sync option, new orders generated in SHOPLINE will be automatically synced to Xero in real-time. However, for the first time sync, it may take some time for all past orders to sync to Xero. If you prefer manual syncing, you can click on the "Sync Order" button to instantly sync new orders. This gives you more control over the syncing process and ensures that you are only syncing orders when you are ready to do so.
- After setting up the Xero integration with SHOPLINE, you can view the order sync status to see how many orders have been synced over to Xero. The order sync summary provides the total number of synced orders, which is accumulated from the start date you have chosen during the setup process. This allows you to keep track of how many orders have been synced over to Xero and ensure that everything is running smoothly.
View order sync status - Unsynced orders:
To view the details of synced and unsynced orders, click on the respective categories. In the "Unsynced" category, you can choose to mark orders as synced or archive them, or you can choose to resync orders that had errors during the initial sync.
The "Push date" column displays the date and time when the data was synced or attempted to be synced from SHOPLINE to Xero. Note that this date is not the order creation date.
Disconnecting Xero account
To disconnect the Xero organization, go to the Xero app and click "Disconnect." This will stop incoming orders from being synced over, but existing data in Xero will remain. You can always reconnect in the future.
Locating your synced data in Xero
Sign in/create an account:
To integrate SHOPLINE with Xero, you will need to sign in or create an account on the Xero website.
Once you have signed in, you can select an existing organisation that you want to link to SHOPLINE, or you can create a new organisation. If you choose to create a new organisation, you will need to do this before starting the sync process in the SHOPLINE Xero app.
You will need to select your country and currency. This currency will be used in Xero software for reconciliation purposes. Please note that once the currency has been selected, it cannot be changed.
Order and invoice:
If you have integrated SHOPLINE with Xero, you can check your synced orders under Business > Sales > Invoices in Xero. The synced orders will appear as invoices in Xero.
Header Definition Number Invoice number (generated by Xero) Ref Order number (follows SHOPLINE order) To Customer/recipient name Date Order sync date Due date Payment due date Paid Paid order amount Due Unpaid order amount Status Order payment status
Product and inventory:
To view your synced products and inventories, go to Business > Products and services. This is where you can manage and edit your product information, such as product name, SKU, and sales account. You can also view your inventory levels and track stock movements.
To view your customer information, go to Contacts > Customers. This section will display all the customers that have been synced from SHOPLINE to Xero. You can view and edit their details, such as name, contact information, and billing address. Additionally, you can create new customers manually in Xero or let them be automatically created during the order syncing process if they don't exist yet.
Chart of accounts
To view the list of financial accounts, navigate to Accounting > Advanced > Chart of accounts in Xero. From there, you can edit the account type and tax rate to suit your business needs.
Foreign exchange currency settings
If your SHOPLINE store and Xero currency differ, you will need to enable multi-currency in Xero to ensure accurate conversion of currencies during order and payment syncing. Note that multi-currency is only available in Xero's Premium plan.
To enable multi-currency in Xero, navigate to Settings > Currencies > Add currency. Here, you can add the currency you use in your SHOPLINE store and set up the exchange rates for conversion to your Xero currency. This will ensure that orders and payments are synced correctly with the correct currency and exchange rates applied.
Qns: What happens if SHOPLINE orders are updated from unpaid to paid and vice versa?
Ans: If the payment status of a SHOPLINE order is updated from unpaid to paid (or vice versa), the payment status will be updated in Xero in real-time if the automatic sync is turned on.
For example, if an unpaid order in SHOPLINE is updated to paid, the invoice in Xero will be marked as paid as well. Similarly, if a paid order in SHOPLINE is updated to unpaid, the corresponding invoice in Xero will be marked as unpaid. This ensures that the records in Xero are always up-to-date and accurate.
|SHOPLINE Payment Status||Xero Payment Status|
|Partially refunded||Awaiting payment (merchant has to handle the partial refund separately)|
Qns: What happens if SHOPLINE orders are cancelled?
Ans: If you have integrated SHOPLINE with Xero and a customer cancels an order, here's what happens: the order will be marked as cancelled in SSHOPLINE and the corresponding invoice in Xero will be voided. Any payments made for the cancelled order will be refunded in SHOPLINE and the corresponding payment transaction in Xero will be marked as voided. This ensures that your records in Xero accurately reflect the cancelled order and any associated payments.
Qns: For unsynced orders, can I manually sync in bulk?
Ans: If you have unsynced orders in SHOPLINE that you would like to sync with Xero, you can do so manually in bulk. To manually sync unsynced orders, go to the "Sales" tab in SHOPLINE and click on "Unsynced Orders". Select the orders you want to sync by checking the box next to each order, then click on the "Sync to Xero" button. The selected orders will be synced to Xero in bulk. This allows you to ensure that all of your records in both SHOPLINE and Xero are up-to-date and accurate.
Qns: Can my products and inventories be synced to Xero?
Ans: When you integrate SHOPLINE with Xero, only products that are included in orders can be synced over to Xero along with their inventory levels.
For instance, if you have two products, Product A and Product B, and only Product A is included as a line item in an order that is synced to Xero, then only the inventory levels for Product A will be synced to Xero.
This means that if you have products that are not included in any orders, their inventory levels will not be synced to Xero. In order to sync the inventory levels for those products, you will need to include them as line items in an order that is synced to Xero.
By syncing only the products that are included in orders, you can ensure that your records in both SHOPLINE and Xero are accurate and up to date, without syncing unnecessary information.
Qns: Can multiple SHOPLINE stores be linked to 1 Xero organisation and vice versa at each time?
Ans: No, it is not possible to link multiple SHOPLINE stores to a single Xero organization at the same time. At any given point, only one SHOPLINE store can be linked to one Xero organization.
However, if you want to link a different SHOPLINE store to the same Xero organization, you can first disconnect the original store (let's call it Store A) from the Xero organization. Once Store A is disconnected, you can then link a new store (let's call it Store B) to the same Xero organization.
It's important to note that disconnecting Store A from the Xero organization will not delete any data that has already been synced between the two platforms. The data from Store A will remain in the previously linked Xero organization, and you will still be able to access and view it in Xero.
Get in touch
SHOPLINE has a specialized Merchant Success Team available to assist you with any questions or issues. Please feel free to contact us via the chatbox in the lower right corner of your SHOPLINE admin panel or on the SHOPLINE official website. We are always here to support you every step of the way and help your business thrive.